Re: [dev] [dwm] Conversion to XCB

From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 13:07:37 +0100

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 09:59:48AM +0100, Alexander Huemer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 09:41:54AM +0100, Markus Wichmann wrote:
> > I got bored over the weekend and decided to start porting dwm to XCB.
> > The reason being that XCB rules and Xlib drools. I'm almost done with
> > dwm.c, but I have come across a few problems I'd like to discuss here.
>
> I think it would have been worth trying a web search with the keywords
> 'dwm' and 'xcb' before investing time on this. [1] would have come up,
> which is at least a basis for what you are doing.

Hmmm... I probably should have done that. However that implementation
seems to be based on a somewhat expired version of dwm, since drw.c and
util.c are not yet present.

As far as the issues I had: Error handling is done in some ways counter
to what the official version does. This implementation reacts fataly for
some errors, namely those it directly requests, but completely ignores
errors in the event queue, i.e. unexpected errors.

Also, the FontSet issue is addressed rather drastically - by excising
the feature completely. Which in the end means the inability to draw
titles that have a more diverse character set than just ISO Latin-1.

> As far as I remember this topic was discussed here already in the past.
> The face that dwm uses Xlib instead of xcb is not generally seen as a
> defect. Please note that I do not state what my personal opinion is.

Maybe it was. However, I found no such conversation in my personal
archive of this list (which goes back maybe a year or so), and the
official version of the archive has no search function, nor has any
attempt at sending Google on that archive been successful. And since the
archive only has index pages by month, I can't even get the entire
message index, or even the message index per year and search via C-F.

Also, maybe the majority here is unaware of what kind of a code base
Xlib is. I have seen OS kernels with less complexity.

> Kind regards,
> -Alex
>
> [1] https://github.com/julian-goldsmith/dwm-xcb

Ciao,