Re: [dev] [sbase] move mknod(1) to ubase

From: Jens Staal <staal1978_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 08:03:44 +0100

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 22:59:03 +0000
sin <sin_AT_2f30.org> wrote:

> I am inclined to just keep these tools in sbase. Apparently Haiku
> does not really use major/minor numbers for the devices (they are set
> to 0).
>
> > Other point is to think what is the number of system where makedev
> > is not supported, because maybe the list is really small.
>
> Not sure, but I'd expect most if not all the BSD/sysv systems to have
> makedev(3). If anyone knows of any systems not having makedev(3) let
> me know.

No idea if it is desirable to support, but Plan9/APE is missing makedev
and "major" and "minor".

It might be a fringe use, but I find myself using individual utilities
from either sbase or Heirloom to get configure scripts expecting
something not provided by APE or Plan9 to run under APE.

(id, xargs, cut, ... and in one case an alternative "sort" because the
Plan9 one behaved in a way that the script could not get)