Re: [dev] swc: A small Wayland compositor

From: Michael Forney <mforney_AT_mforney.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 02:54:45 +0000

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 02:09:31 +0100, Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de> wrote:
> Heyho,
>
> why do you not put the VT switching and input dev fd handling code into swc. In
> this case the developer implementing a wm would have to do priviledge dropping.
> This leads to one suid executable per wm without the need of a launcher. Am I
> missing something here?

Hi Markus,

The VT/TTY related code could go into swc, but having the window manager
drop privileges by itself won't work because it needs those again to
reopen input devices and regain DRM master when it's VT is activated
again. Also, it is quite handy to have your VT restored upon a crash
(instead of leaving it in graphics mode with the keyboard turned off).

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 19:06:21 +0100, FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
> Why not specify this part in a config.h? Given the resulting wm is very
> small, this suckless-concept applied would be very convenient.

If I do end up adding such a list of allowed display servers, this does
seem like a good way to do it.

In any case, I think that this issue is fairly minor (at first glance,
it looks like systemd's logind acts the same way as swc-launch with
respect to opening and revoking devices) and for now I will probably
leave it as-is. As swc matures, we could revisit this if it does present
any problems.

--
Michael Forney <mforney_AT_mforney.org>