Re: [dev] ncurses or ...

From: Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 10:23:11 -0800

On Sun 02 Feb 2014 at 05:07:47 PST Dimitris Zervas wrote:

>So, what I'm telling is to write a simpler library that will support a
>very limited number of terms.
>That would make it light and suckless.

Isn't most of ncurses' support for different terminals in the
termcap/terminfo data (rather than the code)? It's been a long while
since I looked at the ncurses source code and don't know how much
streamlining could result from dropping support for older, rarely-used
terminals.

If it's the API that needs to be reworked, what would you change and
how?

Currently, ncurses sends escape sequences (i.e., text strings) to the
terminal for most operations. Do you want to change that to some kind
of binary interaction?

Keep in mind that whatever you do, it will have to work for the console,
for a terminal emulator running in a X session, and over SSH. To my
mind, that rules out using system calls instead of some kind of
interprocess communication.

Maybe you want to take an idea from Plan 9 and use file i/o for this?

Shoot, let's just use rio and be done with it.