Re: [dev] Announcing sinit - the suckless init

From: Bryan Bennett <bbenne10_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 13:36:21 -0500

Well, damnit. Gmail's web interface strikes again...

As I was saying...

I've not had the chance to try this out myself, but I'm curious what
this provides
(or doesn't provide, given the collective mindsets on this mailinglist, myself
included) that something like minirc[1] does or doesn't do.

In particular, Minirc is a POSIX shell script that supports multiple device
backends (mdev, udev from systemd, & eudev out of the box - more if we
want to add them) and does so in one of the simplest frameworks I've seen.

Want a new service? If it's just one command started on boot (sshd,
for instance)
just add it to the DAEMONS array. If it's more than that - just
implement a switch/
case statement and fall back to the default implemention if it's not
what you expect.

The source is simple to grok and it implements daemons (though whether or
not that's good is up to discussion). Is the difference here one of
implementation
(C vs Shell)? Or just intention? I've seen a lot of tiny init's
recently and I'm trying
to figure out where the middle ground is, while discarding behemoths
like systemd.

1: http://github.com/hut/minirc