Re: [dev] hotkey (1) - a suckless global keybinder

From: Michael Hauser <awarewater_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 00:42:15 +0100

Calvin Morrison writes:
> make a hidden window, and set the window focus to it? that'd be my
> guess. I don't think you can grab two non modifier keys though, < and
> > for example probably wouldn't work with the way I am grabbing it.
> I'd love too see some code.

Yes, I tried to load/unload the grabs as needed in my ugly hack :)

> A visual hint could be nice. I definitely see the advantage of a modal
> system because there are already so many shortcuts you can
> accidentally interfere with,having just one to interfere with reduces
> the issue.

I like this idea, but unfortunately it's beyond my understanding of the
X11 system; Though I'd love it, if someone could point me in some
proper direction for example/tutorial code.

> but then why not just use my program to launch a script with dmenu
> (vertical version) and have a keybinding for that? eg:

Simply put: I think this approach is too slow. I dabbled with dmenu and
too many keys hit just get lost, while starting up dmenu.

> ALT+P spawns dmenu
> dmenu shows
> 1. mocp -g
> 2. xterm
> 3. firefox
>
> you press 3 and enter and it executes..?
>
> what do you think of that?

Muscle memory is really fast, the idea is a good one, but I believe even
with prelinking dmenu's libs it wouldn't be as efficient as a standalone
utility.

cheers, mih

ps. sorry about my rusty active english skills :)

--
'aware water' is an anagram for 'we are at war'