Re: [dev] tabbed - why?

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 19:04:00 +0100

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:49:54PM -0500, Calvin Morrison wrote:
> if you view "tabbing" almost like a dwm layout, it's insane to not
> implement it into a window manager. Should all other layouts be in a
> subwindow that xembeds?

If you think of tabs as overlapping windows, the concept seems to
actually conflict with one of the main advantage of tiling WMs, i. e. to
make efficient use of your screen estate by showing all open windows at
all times.

I still use tabs while browsing though, so I seem to like it in a browser
at least.

BTW, dwb[1] allows you to open links in new windows (can be bound to a
key of your choosing of course).

[1] http://portix.bitbucket.org/dwb/