Re: [dev] Re: Article about suckless on root.cz

From: koneu <koneu93_AT_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 08:41:22 +0100

Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> On 20 February 2014 18:27, koneu <koneu93_AT_googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Nick wrote:
> >> Yes, but the web-viewer could suck less, internally. GTK & glib
> >> being rather obvious examples. With that in mind I thought I'd take
> >> another look at webkitnix today, and found that they're not planning
> >> to maintain it anymore. Which sucks.
> >
> > Sad... I had hoped for uzbl to switch to it so I'd have a reason to
> > leave behind dwb.
> > Then again, Webkit itself sucks so badly that using GTK & glib won't
> > really hurt surf. One could say that surf is a suckless interface to
> > sucky GTK and sucky glib, which interface with C++ WebKit, which in turn
> > interfaces with the World Wide Web of Suck.
>
> I'd say surf should be blink[0] based in the midterm future. I spend
> some effort on checking how it can be statically linked.
>
> Granted, it might suck a whole lot more than webkitgtk, but I see the
> days come, when webkitgtk(+) will fall behind.
>
> The web game isn't suckless. It is suckmore.

I'd love to see surf become a suckless, keyboard-controlled,
compile-time-configured frontend to Hubbub[0]. It is written in C, MIT
licensed, statically linkable, small (compared to the WebKit family),
and, presumably, faster than any other layout engine. It sucks less.

(0) http://www.netsurf-browser.org/projects/hubbub/