Re: [dev] XML vs HTML (was: Article about suckless on root.cz)

From: Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:07:32 +0100

Eckehard Berns said:
> You only write a parser once. But you write some magnitude more markup
> that is going to be parsed by it. So optimizing the markup specification
> for authoring has a better net gain than to optimize the protocol just to
> get away with a simpler parser.

Actually, if parser behavior is simple and easily predictable, the task
of writing markup is easier. When I write correct HTML, I still have to
open browser to see how it renders, because I have no way to predict the
actual result (apart from my experience with different generally
unexpected results that serve me the basis for educated guess).

This alone is sufficient for me to be all for simplistic strict parser
with zero fault tollerance.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff