Re: [dev] XML vs HTML (was: Article about suckless on root.cz)

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 13:45:00 +0100

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:40:44 +0100
Eckehard Berns <ecki-suckless_AT_ecki.to> wrote:

> I see why you wish for a stricter approach. I don't believe this will
> happen anytime soon.

It's already happening! Everyone can choose for himself ;).

> I'm not sure about that. SGML has DTDs that describe what you're allowed
> to do and what not. So in theory browsers could reject non-validating
> HTML pages as well. No need to switch to XML for that. But I would doubt
> that browsers would do this.

In theory they could, and that would be conforming behaviour, but the
reality looks different.

> Not bad for the web. Bad for me! :) I write lots of HTML at work. I tend
> to write validating HTML usually - except when encountering features
> that can't be described with valid HTML (HTML5 fixes this thou, at least
> for me). If I had to write XHTML I would get very angry pretty fast.

Yes, that depends on personal taste.
Just like people who are too lazy to comment their code, I see it as
laziness when people don't check the well-formedness of their markup.
Don't take it as an insult, it's everybody's freedom after all. But you
need to ask what's favorable for everyone.

> As said before, browsers could reject non-validating HTML as well.

They could but sadly don't. There are good reasons for this, because
the web developed this way, but I like the secondary perspective ;).

> So in the end we disagree because of personal preference. That's fine
> with me.

Everybody is free to do what he likes.

Cheers

FRIGN