Re: [dev] XML vs HTML (was: Article about suckless on root.cz)

From: Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:21:22 +0100

FRIGN said:
> > Actually, if parser behavior is simple and easily predictable, the task
> > of writing markup is easier. When I write correct HTML, I still have to
> > open browser to see how it renders, because I have no way to predict the
> > actual result (apart from my experience with different generally
> > unexpected results that serve me the basis for educated guess).
>
> I'm interested. Do you have a specific case where that happened?

I happen to come over different issues here and there. They are mostly
either bugs (which appear due to always changing nature of modern web
engine) or "optimizations" supposed to address bad HTML code. Eg. I had
problems with tables, which were "optimized" by Firefox and Chrome
differently, resulting in different numbers of rows when I used empty
cells for complex table drawing.

> Thus, rendering issues are either originating from bad browser-defaults
> or faulty CSS.

I don't even touch CSS. And I just can't see any valid argument for
existance of browser-defaults – the format that is supposed to deliver
pixel-perfect rendering for given screen size the very fact that there
is something left for browser to decide is already complete and utter
defeat for the whole markup language.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff