Re: [dev] XML vs HTML (was: Article about suckless on root.cz)

From: Hadrian Węgrzynowski <hadrian_AT_hawski.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 00:48:33 +0100

Dnia 2014-02-21, o godz. 14:53:22
Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net> napisał(a):

> On Fri 21 Feb 2014 at 13:15:24 PST Hadrian W?grzynowski wrote:
> >
> >Even if it would work, I think that web shouldn't be pixel-perfect,
> >because we could just use some glorified-PDFs. It's utter nonsense
> >that correct rendering of page is depending on some specific font and
> >specific font size. It's utter nonsense to not restrict paragraph
> >length (at 80 characters or something). It's utter nonsense to assume
> >that everyone is using maximised browser window at 1080p.
>
> I'm an old fart who never got into web programming, so forgive me if
> this is a stupid question: isn't the rise of smartphones and other
> mobile platforms forcing people to abandon those assumptions about the
> screen sizes they're working with? (As, for example, epub vs pdf.)
>
> Or is the trend to create a separate, "mobile" version of the page,
> which simply changes the assumption to some smaller screen size?
>
> Or are people just ignoring the problem altogether?

Because of compatibility mobile browsers pretend they are like desktop
browsers. They move around the problem by scaling [1]. So problem is
mostly ignored.

Some sites create special mobile version. Sometimes it's crippled
version of site or quite sane version which can better than desktop.

[1] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Nokia_Mini_Map_Browser.png