Re: [dev] What is bad with Python

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 20:39:16 -0500

Quoth FRIGN:
> I recently thought about porting portage (written in Python) to C and
> read into its source code.
> Calling it a mess is a compliment, given there are almost no comments
> and lots of deprecated functions.
> Portage is not only an example for quite unmaintainable code, but also
> for a program which as obviously been deployed with the wrong
> programming language.
> A core package-manager shouldn't depend on python, it should be
> statically linked and _fast_.

Quite a few years ago, back when I was using gentoo on a low powered
computer, portage was just too memory hungry to run, so I switched
to paludis. I think it's C++, so I have no idea if it's sensible
under the covers, but it was far more reasonable in terms of
resource usage, at least. I quite liked gentoo's ebuild system too.
I keep meaning to look at the BSD ports system, which is similar,
but never quite get around to it.