Re: [dev] What is bad with Python

From: Troels Henriksen <athas_AT_sigkill.dk>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 14:49:07 +0100

FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> writes:

> Yes, that's a point. Go implements GC and other stuff in the binary,
> which blows its size up a lot.
> However, if we take the Hello-World-program as the lowest common
> denominator, we could calculate, that if we ported all basic tools in
> sbase (currently 70) to the Go language, the compiled binaries would
> need around 100MB-200MB _after_ stripping unnecessary stuff from it (as
> explained earlier).

A solution to this is to implement the GC (and other runtime parts) as a
dynamic library. This code would also be shared in memory by all
running Go processes.

(I do not use Go myself, but in the Haskell world we have a similar
issue - my current project compiles to a statically linked 53MiB binary,
although this is admittedly with profiling support included.)

--
\  Troels
/\ Henriksen