[dev] Re: [ANNOUNCE] req 1.0 - a gawk und dmenu powered plumberlike

From: Robert Figura <nc-figuraro_AT_netcologne.de>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 17:11:13 +0200

On Sat, 10 May 2014 16:29:14 +0200
"Roberto E. Vargas Caballero" <k0ga_AT_shike2.com> wrote:

> > st? Not really, not yet. But enough to get what it's about and why
> > plumber might be ideal in this context. What's the most complicated
> > thing you do with it? How many cases does your setup differentiate? I
> > always found it be a pity that i couldn't find people share their
> > plumber setups. Probably my fault. Please share and enlighten us.
>
> It can be useful, for example, select the name a file in the terminal and
> launch an application that show you the content of the file, or you select
> an url and want to see it a web navigator. I think is the common usage
> of a plumber, no?

Sure, and that's what req does, too.

Take this guy's plumber conf:
https://github.com/jlouis/plan9-setup/blob/master/lib/plumbing

he's got about 7 rules in there.

$ grep -e menu -e run ~/src/req/src/port.*.awk | wc
    259 1658 19622

That's a little different, isn't it? Those really are 259 actions, each
set up in about two lines. Because of that number it comes with a
menu.

With req you can further match on context. E.g.: Given a word in the
cut buffer, it'll read the currently focused x11 window's wm_name
(possibly classify it as a file by trying to obtain it's mimetype), and
send you to the documentation for your currently focused document's
language.

And classification is also quite handy. It'll construct a namespace
with the matching regex' results named. Simplifies the rules a lot!

All this to make it reasonable to follow the itch: Hey, i just did that
twice, pasting something into the very same command. Let's set up a
rule, it'll barely take me longer than doing that again.

And then find all that cruft again because demnu is cool and it doesn't
show you non-applicable actions.

...sorry, i got carried away again. You never feel caged in your
plumber setup? What am i missing?

Kind Regards,
  - Robert Figura