Re: [dev] [st][patch] Allow mouse selection override using ShiftMask

From: Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 12:07:46 +0100

On 12 May 2014 11:47, Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyone has further ideas about such a feature and whether it belongs to the terminal?
> In st's-case I think it belongs in st, since it's an X application
> (for X clipboard copy/paste) and so it's the most practical layer to
> add this functionality (afaict).

It makes sense. Although applications might be binding Shift+Mouse for
their own purpose (not expecting X to interfere with their input). I
don't care too much which is chosen because I tend to not use the
mouse in the terminal, but I think it's worth considering and
discussing a bit.

>> (Tangentially, a lot of suckless software is designed with dwm in mind
>> rather than other window managers. Should st be designed with dvtm in
>> mind rather than other terminal managers?)
>>
> No it should not. Suckless software should work independent of
> eachother assuming it's environment is somewhat sane (imho).

We can rephrase the question: What are sane terminal managers? (And
thus, which one should st make effort to work with?)

> As described in the post you linked
> (http://lists.suckless.org/dev/1402/20050.html) maybe ShiftMask can be
> added as a configurable shortcut to allow shortcuts using ShiftMask
> and also allow things like rectangular (SEL_RECTANGULAR) to work?

I think that an entry in config.c is a good idea. Then people can
customise based on their terminal manager(s) of choice.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Proust