Re: [dev] [GENERAL] License manifest

From: Amadeus Folego <amadeusfolego_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 15:04:13 -0300

Hi Lohmann,

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 06:18:37PM +0200, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> History made me thinking about that stance in suckless. Yes, it’s com‐
> plete freedom, but the GPL made it possible to open up platforms not
> open before. For example the US navy is using Open Source software to
> kill people. I can’t really support this. Programming isn’t neutral any‐
> more. And, as OpenSSL shows, corporate assholes never really give back.
> With the GPL you at least get their crown jewels, if they piss you off.

I mostly agree with your point here, and the fact that things like this
happen on Open Source is what makes me more favourable to the GPL in
these days.

I went to FISL[1] some days ago, a really cool event about free software
and stuff, so I was really excited about suckless and thinking about
submitting a presentation about it on the next one.

But when I saw the LICENSE that we use, I kinda lost the excitement,
still probably going to submit it.

Then I went to see what's FSF's position on this, surprisingly they
are quite cool about it for small projects[2]. Given suckless projects
are mostly foundamental, in the sense they usually are good foundations,
it would be quite nice if they were GPL.

[1]: http://softwarelivre.org/fisl15
[2]: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#X11License