Re: [dev] [dmenu] regexp with dmenu?

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 15:28:08 +0200

Dimitris Papastamos wrote:
> I don't fully follow, you want to use regular expressions to filter
> the input before selection? or?

I think he wants to enter a regex (or globbing star) and get all results
matching the regex. As far as I know regexes are mainly used to get *multiple*
matches and not only one. If you only need one output, you can find that one
pretty effectively with dmenu already. Globbing also kind of works without any
changes: Just type in the parts you want to match („filea“ in his example) and
you get all strings containing each part. Parts are delimited by space.

Now if you want an interactive grep, I don't think dmenu is the tool for it. It
is designed to only output one result string and not multiple ones.

--Markus