Re: [dev] [st] using 256color and boldfonts

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 18:21:36 +0200

Greetings.

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 18:21:36 +0200 Andreas Herz <andi_AT_geekosphere.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm trying to switch from urxvt to st since st handles unicode fallback
> fonts much better and i also like the lightweight and good code.
>
> I use 256colors which works in st except ony strange issue comes up with
> several programs.
>
> If $TERM is set to st-256color and i start lynx or weechat-curses i have
> no bold characters. If i go back to st it's working. But in w3m or just
> with ls the bold is working in 256color mode.
>
> It looks like the application is messing with bold in combination with
> 256color but is there a way to detect what's the problem or what the
> programs are doing wrong?
> Or is there a way to force this behaviour within st?

If you are using git, then this was removed because st didn’t do the
right bolding. You might add this in a patch back to st by adding the
appropriate logic to brighten the colors at line 3165 of st.c.

> My font ist -*-gohufont-medium-*-*-*-11-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1 and there
> is the valid bold version also available (as seen in non-256color mode).
>
> OT: Did i understand the slides from your conference correctly, that st
> won't be developed any further?

You’re from a different culture. St is fixing valid bugs but is consid‐
ered a vt100 emulator. It shouldn’t do anything else. It’s like a ham‐
mer, which you always can use to hammer things. Please remove the notion
of »no revision since two years so it’s old« from your head. Old soft‐
ware still works.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann