Re: [dev] suckless distro

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 15:23:32 +0200

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 14:57:30 +0200
Sylvain BERTRAND <sylware_AT_legeek.net> wrote:

> 100%. It's not suckless to use a makefile if recompiling all
> source files takes little time. The main purpose of makefiles is
> to cherry pick what to recompile on large projects in order to
> minimize build time. Pointless and technically expensive for
> small project SDKs, period.

The main purpose of makefiles is to make stuff, including building more
or less complex software-projects.
Even if a project of mine only has one source-file, I still write a
makefile to accomodate to common practice.
I won't stop you from writing shell-scripts, but I think it's really
stupid and a waste of time to do it.
If you don't know how to write portable makefiles, please don't start
ranting on this great system which has proven itself for decades.

> I started to remove makefiles from my SDKs. Because all are small
> (except the radeon GPU driver which is a linux module).
> I stole parts of the ffmpeg configure script for my
> needs.

Are there any reasons for it other than irrational ones?

> We disagree on the license. I think exactly the other way around.
> Nothing new here...

I used to be a GPL-fanatic like you, but then I took an arrow to the
knee.

Cheers

FRIGN

--