Re: [dev] [grep-notify] A simple notifier when stdout prints a pattern

From: Rob <robpilling_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 21:55:42 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014, Amadeus Folego wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> for some days I've been looking for a suckless irc client.

> It's current status is very prototypical and it's by no measure near to
> something that I would like to share or tell others to use, I know it's working
> for simple things though.
>
> So, back to my original goal, I am still having some problems, output
> stops being printed after a certain threshold, ~ 20 lines, when using it
> with sic, I don't know yet why.
>
> If you guys have any idea or know of another program that could help me
> with this, it would be great!

Hi Amadeus,

As already mentioned, printing the bell character to the terminal should
do the trick too - dwm will highlight the terminal's tag(s), for
example.

A couple of comments on the code - your arguments for notify() and
line_match() are without types, which means they default to int, so
you'll have issues where sizeof(int) != sizeof(char *), or where the
integer representation of a pointer doesn't line up with a pointer
representation. Also, code in main can't see these functions, since
they're after main, so you'll need to move them above main, or forward
declare them.
gcc can help you here - compile with -Wall and -Wextra :)

Perhaps see how using the bell character works for you. You could even
do it with a shell script:

... | grep 'your-regex' | while read line; do printf '\x7'; done

Cheers,
Rob