Re: [dev] Plain text editor that sucks less - an alternative to VIM?

From: Teodoro Santoni <asbrasbra_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 16:58:50 +0200

I don't understand if you need a text editor or a programmer's editor.
For the prior you'd like acme, tvi, sam. The traditional vi is the one you
maybe should try, because it has the same keybinds as vim and doesn't need
the mouse like the acme and sam UIs.
If you need a programmer's editor... well. The short answer is "either stay on
vim or try to go neovim".
The long answer is that you're bound to your tastes. I don't give a damn about
extra UI facilities other than the one you would find in Scite, but i don't
want to work with gtk apps and I want vi keys without lines and lines of lua
code. Emacs keys for me are really ^A ^shift+nonsense. I have never understand
VimL, I would prefer to use another thing to write extensions, possibly
statically loaded. Or a linear API into the source code itself to have them
ready at compiletime.
I'm not a
So I would not work on emacs, elvis, nano, pico, (fx/q/g/nc)scite, eclipse,
joe, jed, acme, sam, mp, me, ne for programming things. And, even if I should
give it a try, I don't think I'll never do the jump to textadept in console
mode. If you'd like to try them, maybe you'll be more lucky than me in finding
a proper and already done editor for your programming tasks.
I think I will make (someday, when every vegan in this world will embrace a
bacon-and-eggs-only diet) a shell script with more interactivity and colors
added to sam -d or ed, or a vim with alot more separation on a process
level between editing interfaces and everything else interfaces. And scripting
with something more bearable than VimL. And I'll type everything into vim.

--
Teodoro Santoni