Re: [dev] Text-only browser that sucks less?

From: Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe <first.lord.of.teal_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 21:39:41 -0400

Quoth Nick on Sun, Jun 29 2014 19:56 -0400:
> Quoth Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe:
>> Beyond rendering pages, the biggest
>> challenge seems to me to lie in coming up with a more intelligent
>> method of selecting links than the usual crufty vi/emacs/Lynx-style
>> interfaces.
>
> I always liked the way elinks (I think) did it, with a numbers
> mode where you type the number of the link you want to go to. I
> did have a similar thing to that working with surf too, but it
> doesn't work when you disable javascript, which is overall more
> important for basic usability.

Link-numbering works, but it starts to break down with link-heavy
pages, or, worse, with numeric links. After trying to sift through
'Page 1[89] 2[90] 3[91] ... 20[92]' and similar horrors in elinks,
I had to disable it.

It's a fairly simple way to handle links, though.

--
Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe