[dev] Announcing smdev

From: Dimitris Papastamos <sin_AT_2f30.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 13:59:47 +0100

Greetings everyone.

smdev[0] is now hosted on suckless.org. It is a simple/suckless
mdev alternative. smdev has similar semantics to mdev. For those
used to mdev it should be easy enough to switch to smdev.

smdev is configured via config.h, it would be really nice if there
was a script to convert an existing mdev.conf into a config.h to make
the migration less painful. This would also help verify that smdev's
semantics are similar to mdev. I wanted it to be initially compatible
with mdev but if certain operations could be done better, smdev might
start deviating from that initial goal.

It has been around for about a year now and some people have been using
it. As far as I know it is relatively stable (it might break if you have
an exotic setup).

Testing, ideas and patches would be much appreciated.

[0] http://git.suckless.org/smdev/

Cheers,
sin