Re: [dev] [st] will global-less changes be wanted upstream?

From: Steven Degutis <sbdegutis_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 14:12:19 -0500

>> You're very right: There is no point to it anymore. The changes I've
>> made are necessary for a straight-forward OS X port, because in OS X,
>> applications have only one instance, but may have many windows; thus
>> if you wanted to open multiple terminals, they would all need to live
>> in the same process, which the current architecture of the program
>> does not allow. Otherwise the application would be limited to only
>> ever having one terminal emulator open, which seems to me like a
>> severe limitation.
>
> Stupid question by an ignorant prosumer: are you serious? You can have only one
> instance of something opened in Mac OS?

Slightly. You can force new instances in various ways, such as with
`open -n`. But it's not the recommended way to run programs. Instead,
an application acts very much like a lightweight server, where it can
have several windows but they all live in the same process. It's a
different architecture than how it works on Linux or Windows, but it
has its own advantages.