Re: [dev] Ideas for using sic

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 10:43:26 +0200

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 17:23:39 -0700
Kartik Agaram <ak_AT_akkartik.com> wrote:

> > - Most often only one C file.

one C-file per program.

The most important part is forgotten though: We not only write mostly C,
but also try to use POSIX(01-08)-interfaces and established extensions.

Concerning the C-standard, we favor the approach of mixing C89 and C99.

> > - MIT license.

MIT/X or ISC.

> > - Sometimes line count limits, feature creep avoided (except in st IMO).

I love LOC-limits myself, but they are not set in stone.

> > - Releases (numbered) are meaningless, you must always use git HEAD.

Well, they are, but for most distributions, git HEAD is not easy to
handle, so we, of course, also tag versions and they have a meaning.

> > - Code reviews are thorough, patches are very sane IMO.

Most of the time ;)

> > - IRC #suckless on oftc is for trolling, mainly.

What the hell are you talking about?

> > - Do not expect support (even though you might get useful info by asking).

This is plain wrong. We just don't support in the sense of Ubuntu
Helpdesk, but we definitely support even newcomers when they RTFM and
ask sensible questions (after we flamed them for at least an hour).

> > - People are picky about what system you use, if you use chrome/gnu, hide it.

I use Chromium and don't hide it. Some software, e.g. web-browsers, are
interfaces to a toxic-environment and the web is one of a kind.

Now, to close it up: The main problem here is that this list could set
things in stone which we probably think of as dynamic factors.
For instance, more and more people discover Go for certain applications.

As we are an elitist bunch of hackers, everyone joining suckless obeys
these unspoken rules anyway.

Cheers

FRIGN

--