Re: [dev] patch for bell in st

From: CustaiCo <custaico_AT_openmailbox.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 04:06:40 +0000

>On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 3:25 PM, CustaiCo <custaico_AT_openmailbox.org>
>wrote:
>> The XBell() call currently used when a bell is recieved sends a message
>> to the X server, but if the X server doesn't know how to sound it,
>> it just gets ignored and I have not been able to find anywhere in x.org's
>> code a way to configure the action that the server does.
>
>I think the trick here is xset(1)
>
>--Carlos

That was the first thing I tried. xset allows me to change the volume,
pitch, duration, and turn on and off the internal pc speaker which does
not exist in my computer.

Other sound sound card drivers set up a virtual pc speaker device that
X will sound. However, the driver for my rather homebrew USB DAC does
not provide such support. It was tough deciding to extend the alsa
driver for my audio system or change two lines of code when I learned
somebody else had already written the daemon to listen for the
notification and sound a tone.

CustaiCo