Re: [dev] [st] St does not work with urwid

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 11:26:49 +0200

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 09:11:35AM +0200, Roberto E. Vargas Caballero wrote:
> > > Sorry, this is wrong, enacs=\E)0 and smacs=\E(0, so the problem is enacs.
> > > I don't know why urwid is using enacs. I will review that the definition
> > > of it is correct, but again, it seems like an error of urwid.
>
> I have checked the definitions, and there were an error in the
> definition of st. Enacs is the sequence that enable the use of
> alternate charset, and if a terminal define it, it must be printed
> before of using smacs. Almost all implementations of curses print

I have to correct me, again. The terminfo definition was incorrect
in the case of enacs, but the real problem of urwid is they are using
^O for shifting the charset, but we don't have ^O in the terminfo
entry, so they shouldn't use it. This urwid bug interferences with
a bug of st, ^O (shift in) and ^N (shift out) are interchanged.

> > I have reported the issue on the urwid github[1]. I'd just like to add
> > that, other than this issue, st seems to be a great terminal emulator.
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/wardi/urwid/issues/82
>
> I have corrected myself, and the problem was a bug in the terminfo
> definiton of st (also the behaviour of urwid is a bit strange but
> it is legal). I am doing a patch that I will submit today to fix
> this problem.

So, your report to urwid was good, and you can add all this information
that I post here.

--
Roberto E. Vargas Caballero