Re: [dev] SGI Irix look (4Dwm)

From: Andrew Gwozdziewycz <web_AT_apgwoz.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:13:21 -0400

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Alexander Huemer
<alexander.huemer_AT_xx.vu> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 01:23:46PM -0400, Andrew Gwozdziewycz wrote:
>> Who are we talking about? *I* use free software. Despite that, I can't
>> fully trust what my computer is doing, because I can't verify the
>> hardware the software runs on isn't doing something malicious. I also
>> can't verify that my hardware isn't emitting signals that some
>> malicious person is picking up via some sort of device
>> [https://www.usenix.org/legacy/events/sec09/tech/full_papers/vuagnoux.pdf
>> and others], nor can I easily verify that a TLS key that I'm
>> protecting my connection with isn't extremely weak, and in otherwords,
>> my communication is actually completely insecure. Nor, can I assume,
>> in this day and age, that there aren't a crap ton of other errors in
>> the TLS protocol, or bugs (keep in mind this is in free software
>> implementations) in the implementations that make me no more unsafe
>> than running blobs.
>>
>> So, yeah, I can verify the software, perhaps, but that doesn't really
>> make me safe.
>
> Access to the source code of the software you are running is necessary
> but not sufficient[1]. As simple as that.
> What is your point here? Since you can't be sure about all details you
> give a flying fuck about _everything_ and use non-open-source software?
> You can't be serious.

Did I say that I use non-free software? I didn't. I suggested exactly
what you said, that it's not sufficient by itself.

Put it this way. If you've got a target on your back, you're fucked.
Free software or not.

>>> People have hired me in the past because of the look of desktop, yes.
>
>> That's insane and stupid, and you should have declined the offer due
>> to their idiocy! Any moron can learn to customize the way their
>> desktop looks.
>
> Well, I oversimplified, you know that.

I'm certain you're being serious.

>> And no, I don't develop web applications with ruby and javascript.
>
>>> Me either, but lots of other (some of them are even very
>>> intelligent!) people *do.* Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
>
> I just don't care about them.

Awwww. I'm sure "they" are very sad.

Have a nice day!

Hugs and kisses,