Re: [dev] A simple but flexible alternative to cron

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 14:55:01 +0100

Greetings.

On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 14:55:01 +0100 Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I've wanted something with a bit more flexibility than standard Cron for
> a while, and I finally came up with a simple solution that I like and
> felt might be of interest to this community.

You are just replacing the run‐crons script which is used in distribu‐
tions to handle the /etc/cron.[hourly|weekly|monthly] scripts? Running
the script all the time is a bit of time‐wasting. The scheduler should
know, to save CPU cycles, when the next task is arriving.

I am using fcron[0] with just 11k. It has a nice shell fcrondyn with dy‐
namic task scheduling and it won’t shoot into your back like vixie cron
does on an unstable time source.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann

[0] http://fcron.free.fr/description.php