Re: [dev] Suckless unit testing in C?

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 14:57:15 -0500

On 02/25/2015 02:35 PM, Eduardo A. Bustamante López wrote:
> This is very simplistic.
>
> I'll give you some examples:
>
> - ii: I don't see it using netcat.
> - quark: Doesn't use inetd
> - surf: depends on webkit for most stuff
> - dwm: X11 API
>
> Why aren't these communicating with stdin or stdout?

I think that is a great question. I would find it very instructive to see that question answered. I am a big fan of the suckless attitude, but I am not an expert suckless programmer like some of the people on this list. If you are inclined, please educate me. I am an eager student. Would it be possible or desirable to make any of the suckless tools/programs to suck even less by writing them to use netcat or inetd and removing all network-specific code? Do one thing and do it well? Is Plan 9 the logical extreme of this practice?