Re: [dev] [st] Slow ST character typing on i686/pentium3 platforms]

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 20:04:28 +0100

Hi,

> Changing line 3880, "drawtimeout.tv_set=0" to 1, I'm now able to type the
> sentence "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy brown dog", and all
> characters appear without much apparent delay, except for the last char "g"
> mysteriously takes up to 1-2 seconds to appear. Key repeat also significantly
> delays. But overall, this delay or slow typing bug is much better with
> "drawtimeout.tv_set=1".

This sucks. This loop was designed to be very efficient,
but it it really complex and I don't know if it is really needed.
I mean, we did test of performance like:

        dd -bs=1 count=1G < /dev/urandom > /dev/tty

but I think it is not the common usage of a terminal. I think
we should do not care about if st has a good performance in this
case because you usually will use a page at once.

My proposal is to simplify the loop even if st becomes a bit
slower. What do you think guys?

Regards,