Re: [dev] [dwm] Add i3 to differences in http://dwm.suckless.org/

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 15:48:54 +0100

Ivan Tham wrote:
> I haven't tried dwm as it seems a bit hard to configure compared to i3 but i3
> seems to be easier to use (I don't think it it much faster) as it only uses
> split as horizontal or vertical.

Heyho Ivan,

just try the default config first. You can easily setup a Xephyr or Xnest to
test out both WMs (dwm of course is far superiour ;P) and quickly change dwm's
config.h, recompile and relaunch without having to restart your whole X session
where you probably want to have some webbrowser or manpages open with
documentation. Configuring your software through changing the config.h
headerfile and recompiling may seem strange in the beginning, but you will
quickly get used to it.

This also has a few benefits: The software does not need a config-file parser
and also the config is automatically syntax-checked while recompiling.

--Markus