Re: [dev] Address to the suckless community concerning freedom

From: Noah Birnel <nbirnel_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 20:10:22 -0700

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Assuming you're serious, I've never used X11 with Cygwin and I am
> curious: how well did using dwm work? Do Windows' windows still behave
> in a relatively reasonable manner, and are the window decorations
> stripped or preserved?
>
> Eric

I am serious. It is embarrassing, but I am glad it was the only thing
that would compile,
because otherwise I never would have started using dwm, and following
this list. (sorry
for the top-post before, all...)

And it worked fine, but it doesn't change how Windows behaves at all.
You run the X server
as a Windows window, and run X programs within it. You can't run a
Windows GUI program under dwm.

I was trying it to keep my terminals sanely organized, but eventually
I found bug.n, which is a native
Windows dwm clone. That's what I use these days when I have to be on a
Windows box. And it strips away
the decorations.

I wouldn't consider Windows' windows to 'behave in a relatively
reasonable manner', though.

Cheers,
Noah