[dev] [vis] ui separation and mainloop considerations

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 00:48:14 +0200

I just pushed a fairly invasive change which tries to separate
out all the ui related code into a single file: ui-curses.c.
The idea is that by implementing the interface of ui.h it should
be possible to add a different user interface backend. This should
also be useful if somebody finds the time and motivation to write
unit tests with a dummy ui ...

However this is not yet complete, for example keyboard input
is still handled directly in vis.c. There is also a slight
regression in that the active mode is currently not displayed
in the status bar of the window. I hope to fix this later by
eliminating the remaining global state found in vis.c.

Please let me know if something else is broken too. Further
cleanup patches are always welcome!

Another feature I would like to implement is the ":!" i.e. to
filter text through an external command. In the long term
I would also like to experiment with a client/server architecture
where each window would be an independent process. These features
require a proper mainloop and I'm considering using libuv.

What is your opinion on libuv? Is there a better alternative I
should look into? What would you use for communication purposes?
Sending raw structs around or using something like msgpack?

  http://repo.or.cz/w/vis.git
  https://github.com/martanne/vis

--
 Marc André Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: CF7D56C0