Re: [dev] [Idea] Using GitTorrent

From: Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 08:03:54 +0100

On 1 June 2015 at 02:02, Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Git (and other CVSs) are inherently decentralized. Don't use a service
> like Github if you want a decentralized repository. Like someone else
> was saying, torrenting involves people to seed, and when they don't
> the torrent dies (in our case, a repository). This isn't what anyone
> wants...

I wonder whether it would be beneficial for source-based linux
distributions. In that case, the packages become just a build script
and a hash. And every computer running that distribution is a seed for
whatever software they have installed. If Arch and Gentoo worked like
that, they'd probably not be any seedless source torrents.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Proust