Re: [dev] surf release?

From: Jack L. Frost <fbt_AT_fleshless.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 22:31:49 +0300

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 02:18:01PM -0400, Greg Reagle wrote:
> I don't know git well, just the basics, but why don't you use a git
> commit id as the target for patching and packaging? As far as I
> understand, a tag is just a "friendly" name for a commit id anyway.

1) How do I know if a certain tag is stable enough to use? Do I just take the
current HEAD? Do I spend my time extensively testing a few latest tags to
figure out if they are stable or not?

2) Git makes it annoying to do integrity checks vs tarballs.

2) Patches. When you don't give people targets to write patches for once in a
while, you get a zoo of patches that re each written for an arbitrary commit
(usuall the latest one at the time of writing the patch). It's a mess.