Re: [dev] surf release?

From: Teodoro Santoni <asbrasbra_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 00:24:08 +0200

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 08:40:40PM +0200, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff wrote:
> Greg Reagle said:
> > I don't know git well, just the basics, but why don't you use a git
> > commit id as the target for patching and packaging? As far as I
> > understand, a tag is just a "friendly" name for a commit id anyway.
>
> 1. In some packaging software that will fuck up package versioning and
> updates beyond repairs.
> 2. If there is any review process, maintainer will have hard time
> explaining why he packages snapshot - it is widely believed that
> maintainers make releases when they consider software stable enough
> for packaging.
> 3. It requires quirks that suck so much that it is not suckless any
> more.

Good evening,
I'm no suckless expert, and this will probably sound really trollish and
asshole-ish, but you know what wouldn't suck?
A human who loves package managers and mirrors surf git,
tests it periodically, and tags it, with a third version number (e.g. 0.6.x),
anytime he/she/it (and whoever files his/her/it issue tickets) deems it
stable, to help package mantainers!

--
Teodoro Santoni