Re: [dev] Re: [dvtm] Default command mapping changes

From: Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 13:52:44 -0400

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:45:11PM +0200, Marc André Tanner wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 02:45:20PM -0400, Ross Mohn wrote:
> > First, the killclient and quit commands are very desctructive and too
> > easy to press by accident with sometimes disasterous results. Because of
> > this, I propose that the key presses be doubled to the following, to be
> > sure that they are intentional.
> >
> > killclient MOD+x+x
> > quit MOD+q+q
>
> I tend to agree.
>
> > Next, I'd like to have the incnmaster and setmfact defaults changed.
> > This also allows the easy mapping of two additional commands: one for
> > putting all windows into the master window (incnmaster("99")), and the
> > other for resetting nmaster back to 1 (incnmaster("1")). Using '>' and
> > '<' for setmfact is also consistent with resizing the width of windows
> > in Vim.
>
> Since I'm also a heavy dwm user I would like to keep the key mappings
> identical where it makes sense (as is the case for incnmaster).
>
> However for those bindings which do not conflict, I'm willing to add
> additional vim like mappings. From your proposal these would be:
>
> > setmfact("+0.05") >
> > setmfact("-0.05") <
> > setlayout(fullscreen) o
> > setlayout(tile) =

I think the default bindings probably shouldn't have duplicates. That
might make it more confusing for the new user, and experienced users
will make their own command binding changes anyway. I've just included
the two safety changes and the two very minor consistency changes in the
attached patch.

Thanks for your consideration -Ross