Re: [dev] scc vs 8cc

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 16:05:43 +0200

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 11:58:20PM +0200, Teodoro Santoni wrote:

> > so why scc?
> >

> Once upon a time 8cc was a linux x86 64bit C compiler and scc a unix Z80 C
> compiler. Why what?

Yes, it is true. When I began scc (at that moment kcc), the problem I had
was that compilers for z80 was not confortable to me. I used hitech C
for msdos using dosemu, or the other possibility was sdcc, which at that
moment generated very bad code for z80. Another objective I had was
to be able of executing the compiler in a z80 host environment, so any of
the options I had at this moment were not good for me.

scc becomes a suckless project now, and we converted it
into a multi targered compiler, which will be able (some day ...)
of generating code for z80/386 and amd64.

There is another difference to, that is the source code style. I
can say that 8cc, although well written, doesn't match the style
and quality of suckless projects.

Regards,