Re: [dev] [st] Stuck in ISO 2022 locking escapes and Evil escape sequences

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 08:30:59 +0200

> >mosh mentions some "UTF8 terminal mode", which is different
> >from "ISO 2022" and doesn't even have G0-3. It's all mentioned
> >in the link[1].
> >
> >[1]: https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#term

This is the personal opinion of the author of the article. Can
you send me a link to the standard where it is said?. The problem
with terminals is they stop their evolution at the beginning
of the 90, so there is no standard way of doing utf8 stuff.

> I thought suckless uses UTF-8? Most applications[1] are already using UTF8
> now, so does suckless need to use 'ISO 2022' or 'utf8'?

The utf-8 sequence that the page talks about is only a common
sequence that some terminals accepts, but it is not standard at
all, and there is no concept of utf-8 or ISO 2022 modes. St
implements a vt200 compatible terminal with only ASCII support
(without the upper part of the code table), and it has an
extension that is utf8. You don't have to send any sequence
to activate any 'mode'.

Regards,

Regards,