Re: [dev] [sandy] [st] Title incorrectly shown if TERM=st

From: shua lloret <shualloret_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 15:49:44 -0400

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 3:15 PM, shua lloret <shualloret_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 3:56 AM, Roberto E. Vargas Caballero
> <k0ga_AT_shike2.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 04, 2015 at 01:45:58PM -0400, shua lloret wrote:
>>> When I try to run sandy with TERM set as any of st,st-16color,st-256color,
>>> the title line is not shown, and is instead printed out randomly to stdout
>>> as I try to insert text. This happens when running "TERM=st sandy" in rxvt,
>>> and does not happen when running "TERM=xterm sandy" in st.
>>
>> Stop doing that. TERM variable is the way user can say to terminfo
>> which is the terminal he is using, and terminfo will use this
>> information to print the correct escape sequence for the user
>> terminal. If you lie to terminfo then you will have problems, like
>> the problem you are commenting here. If you are using st, then set
>> TERM to st, st-16color or st-256color, but if you are using rxvt
>> then you must not use them.
>>

> I don't think you understand. I am having trouble with sandy in st with TERM=st.
> I tried different combinations in an attempt to give more info and
> narrow down the problem.
>
> I'm using sandy git master and tried both st 0.6 and st master, both
> have this problem with TERM=st.
> I've tried putting the terminfo files first in ~/. terminfo and next
> in /usr/share/terminfo
>
> "hs" which in man terminfo refers to "has_status_line" seems like a
> likely candidate, so I removed it from st.info and reinstalled.
> It seems to fix it, but I don't want to remove hs if there is a good
> reason it's in there.
>
> -shuall

hmm, it was originally added with
b2db58c2a05168257ee4e4b941f0533c6dde2a10 to make the window title the
status line.
The window title does become the status line, but sandy keeps spitting
stuff out while I'm editing, so I'll take a printed terminal status
line over spittle.
Is there another app that uses the status line terminal capability
("hs" in terminfo) so I can test it?
I don't know enough ncurses to whip up a test.

-shuall