Re: [dev] [farbfeld] announce

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:52:53 +0100

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:36:51 +0100
Stefan Mark <mark_AT_unserver.de> wrote:

Hey Stefan,

> I think i see. Sure, for visual representation, 16 bit wide rgba is
> probably more than enough.

I thought long about how much bits I want per color-channel. One format
cannot solve all problems as not one program can do all tasks (even Emacs
may be a great operating system, but it lacks a good text editor).
PNG's limits are actually quite sensible (image width, color depth).

> What i proposed was to expand the format to be useful beyond
> representing visual images but represent arbitrary image-like data.
> Probably completely out of the projects focus, sorry, got carried away :)

I guess a better way to do that would be to use greyscale-farbfeld files
for each channel or do the non-color -> color mapping separately.
If you deal with infrared light, we can only speak in intensity-terms
anyway, not with mixing colors.

Cheers

FRIGN

--