Re: [dev] Patch naming on the wiki [corrected list]

From: Matthew of Boswell <mordervomubel+suckless_AT_lockmail.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 15:43:56 -0500

Regarding updating patches to 6.1... Should I list the fixed files with
the version and the abbreviated commit? For example, some patches are
listed as 6.1 but really are some git commit between 6.0 and 6.1:

dwm-6.1-centeredmaster.diff

So I was wondering if I should make the filename more explicit, so we
can tell which patches have been updated. 5ed9c48 is the official
tagged commit for dwm-6.1:

dwm-6.1-5ed9c48-centeredmaster.diff

So on the wiki, it would look like this:

dwm-6.1-5ed9c48-centeredmaster.diff (2015-11-21)

This would make it a bit easier to see which patches are up to date.

Or should I just replace the "6.1"-named patches with correct ones
with the same name?

Not picking on centeredmaster specifically, it just happens to be one
of the patches I fixed and applied to my local repo yesterday. I'll put
it on the wiki once I know how to name it.

David Phillips wrote:
> This would solve my above problem, but introduce one of not having the
> date as readily available once the patch and wiki are separated. For
> example, I accumulate various versions of patches locally, and knowing
> which ones I can remove will get interesting/slow with only refs.

For this, I tend to just "ls -l" the patch directory on my hard drive
to see the date that I downloaded it. Usually that's enough to see how
old it is. If the patch didn't apply cleanly, the modified date would
show when I fixed it =).

--
Matt Boswell