Re: [dev] [vis] vis editor status update

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 20:13:48 +0100

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 06:48:56PM +0200, Marc André Tanner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What follows is a quick overview of recent changes made to vis, my
> vim-like editor:
>
> https://github.com/martanne/vis
>
> I've been using it for some time now and most of my needs are covered.
> I hope to get a release out later this year. Unfortunately I probably
> won't have time to work on it during the next couple of weeks.
> Therefore it seems like a good time to get more testing feedback.
> What is still missing? Which bug/feature needs to be fixed/implemented
> for your daily usage?
>
> Recent changes in no particular order include:

- ! operator
- = operator implemented in terms of fmt(1)
- better support for Unicode combining characters
- ga displays the Unicode code point(s) at the cursor position
- gv restores last selection
- gp and gP
- better cursor creation across line boundaries (<C-j>, <C-k>)
- fixed bogus warnings about file changes outside the editor
- :help command
- :set colorcolumn and :set cursorline
- improvements to repetition command (i.e. dot .)
- new text objects ae, ie, af, if, al, il
- new motions [[, [], ][, ]]
- lots of cleanups, exposing core editor API (see vis.h)
- make standalone target to build a self contained statically linked binary
- new input handling based on libtermkey supporting key aliases
- Lua LPeg based syntax highlighting using definitions from scintillua

The last two items introduce dependencies on libtermkey (for input
handling) and Lua (>= 5.1) + LPeg for Parsing Expression Grammar
based syntax highlighting. Some of you might not like them, but in
my opinion they are the least sucking solutions I could come up with

Cheers,
Marc

--
 Marc André Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: 10C93617