Re: [dev] [farbfeld] version 1 release

From: Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 16:10:45 -0500

On 6 January 2016 at 15:14, Ben Woolley <tautolog_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I know the proposal is "modest", but the timing can be represented in file names that are microseconds from start, with an optional dash followed by the microsecond to jump to (for looping).
>
> The main issue with this is that all file names would need to be read to project the effective time with loops considered, which I think with tar would require scanning the whole archive. In that case, a meta file would be better.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 6, 2016, at 11:55 AM, Leander S. Harding <lsh_AT_lsh.io> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 10:45 AM, FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
>>> Hello fellow hackers,
>>>
>>> I'm pleased to announce version 1 of farbfeld[0]...
>>
>> Modest proposal: let us define an animated-farbfeld format as a
>> tarball of sequentially-name farbfeld files, perhaps with a metadata
>> file containing frame times and looping information.

That's an issue with tar. Tar is limited in it's design, probably
because of the physical medium it was designed for [0]. There are
other formats that can handle this type of problem, and problems
similar to this random access issue in a more efficient manner. I
don't think any animation would amount to this being an appreciable
problem though.
Animations are not so large that I would think this is a problem, and
to add a metadata file for the one use case of knowing the animation
duration doesn't seem suckless.

[0] http://duplicity.nongnu.org/new_format.html