[dev] automating running and building

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 14:14:57 -0500

In the same spirit as my previous post about automating with entr ...

I would love to be able to have some way for running a compiled C
program that automatically runs make on the program before actually
running the program.

Of course I don't want all of my programs to work this way, but when I
am working on a program's source code, it would save a lot of time and
keystrokes.

I know that I could use the compound command "make program; program" and
that is not a bad solution as far as it goes, except that if I am using
other programs that run/exec/fork program, then they fail to do the make
which I want to be automatic.