Re: [dev] Auto-preview man pages

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 08:57:09 -0500

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 12:53:56AM -0500, Greg Reagle wrote:
> If you use the -r option of entr, then you do get complete and very
> satisfying automation when running a GUI. For instance this works great:
> echo Readme.md | entr -r sh -c 'mkd2html Readme.md ; netsurf Readme.html'
>
> For some reason entr -r doesn't work with w3m or elinks or lynx (maybe this
> is a bug in entr that needs to be fixed). However, you can use service
> supervision for the win!

If you are running X (or similar), actually I figured out that you don't
need service supervision at all. You can get full automation with this:

  echo Readme.md | entr -r sh -c 'mkd2html Readme.md ; st -e w3m Readme.html'

If entr -r mode is ever made to work with curses programs, then you can use
w3m with entr just like I use netsurf in above code. Until then, you have
option of opening a new terminal emulator like above, or using service
supervision like in my previous message.