[dev] another text user interface for sam

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 10:28:38 -0500

I value the intelligence and wisdom of this community, so I'd like to
know what you think of this idea. Has it already been done? Are there
disadvantages that I don't realize? Thanks.

I recently learned the text editor sam[1] and I like it and I think that
Structural Regular Expressions are great. I have learned a little bit
about Plan 9 and Acme too, which I think are very interesting.

As you might already know, sam currently has two user interfaces. There
is the bitmap terminal with ability to use the mouse (samterm), and
there is `sam -d` which has an `ed`-like interface.

I would like to be able to use sam from a console or ssh or computer
without X11. This is already possible with `sam -d`, but I want to be
able to see the contents displayed and automatically get updated when I
make changes and to see the selection (aka dot) highlighted, like
samterm or nano or vi.

Is it feasible? How could it be done? Would there be enough interest
to get other people to help program?

[1] http://sam.cat-v.org/