Re: [dev] Re: [slock] red color on control keys?

From: David Phillips <dbphillipsnz_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 17:02:11 +1200

On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 02:48:27PM +0200, Markus Teich wrote:
> we already discussed this. There are two settings, one for the "normal" people
> and one for the paranoid ones. The setting you propose is mostly the same as the
> paranoid one, but slightly less paranoid. Why should paranoid people settle for
> something less paranoid? You are very welcome to push a patch to the wiki
> changing the paranoid setting to ignore modifier and function keys.

Yeah, I do remember having this discussion. It was a suitable time to bring it
up again since the thread was asking directly about the issue I was trying to
address with my old (terrible, not-thought-through) patch.

I will consider putting my (new) patch which ignores special keys on the wiki.

> On the other hand we can of course discuss changing the default of the
> `failonclear` setting to `0`. However I already pushed a little explanation to
> the slock home page (not yet online) which might help people to first read the
> config file before asking here on the ML.

I saw this change you made on the wiki ML and it looks good. I too hope this
will reduce the frequency of this question being asked.

> Since slock is a security oriented program I would stick to the `1` default
> paranoid setting

I cannot disagree, I much prefer the paranoid behaviour over the normal.

Thanks